Revolution in Dry Eye Treatment: 10 Benefits of Scleral Lenses
|Title||10 Ways Scleral Lenses are Revolutionizing Dry Eye Treatment|
|Introduction||Dry eye syndrome is a common problem. Scleral lenses represent a new, effective treatment approach.|
|Understanding Dry Eye Syndrome||Dry eye syndrome is a condition that can significantly affect quality of life. Traditional treatments often fall short.|
|What are Scleral Lenses?||Scleral lenses are larger than standard contact lenses and vault over the cornea, providing numerous benefits.|
|10 Ways Scleral Lenses are Revolutionizing Dry Eye Treatment||Scleral lenses provide improved comfort, vision clarity, reduced symptoms, extended wear time, fewer complications, durability, stability, hydration, and versatility, and are an aid to healing.|
|Role of a Scleral Lens Specialist: Dr. Edward Boshnick||Dr. Edward Boshnick is an expert in fitting scleral lenses and has helped numerous patients with dry eye syndrome.|
|Conclusion||Scleral lenses represent a game-changer in the treatment of dry eye syndrome. Consideration of these lenses should be a priority for anyone suffering from the condition.|
|FAQs||Key questions about scleral lenses and dry eye treatment have been addressed, providing additional information and clarification on the topic.|
Dry Eye Syndrome is an uncomfortable condition that many individuals worldwide are unfortunately all too familiar with. This prevalent condition manifests as persistent dryness, itching, and a burning sensation in the eyes, affecting an individual’s quality of life. Fortunately, the advent of scleral lenses has brought about a much-needed breakthrough in the treatment of this chronic ailment.
Understanding Dry Eye Syndrome
Dry Eye Syndrome, scientifically known as keratoconjunctivitis sicca, is characterized by a lack of sufficient lubrication and moisture on the eye surface. The primary culprits are insufficient tear production or rapid tear evaporation. These issues give rise to common symptoms such as eye redness, a stinging or burning sensation, and a gritty feeling in the eye.
Historically, the treatment of Dry Eye Syndrome has been a challenging task. Conventional treatments like eye drops, medications, and lifestyle changes have offered only temporary relief, without a lasting solution. This situation has necessitated the development of innovative treatment methods like scleral lenses, that hold the promise of enduring relief.
What are Scleral Lenses?
Scleral lenses represent a significant advancement in eye care technology. These specialized contact lenses are designed to vault over the cornea, resting on the white part of the eye, known as the sclera. They are larger than regular contact lenses, offering unique benefits for those suffering from dry eyes and other corneal conditions. One standout feature of scleral lenses is their ability to hold a reservoir of saline solution, keeping the eye continuously hydrated and providing relief from dry eye symptoms.
The 10 Ways Scleral Lenses are Revolutionizing Dry Eye Treatment
- Enhanced Comfort: Scleral lenses provide increased comfort by reducing the friction between the eyelid and the cornea, which is often a source of irritation in dry eye syndrome.
- Improved Vision: Scleral lenses are custom-fitted, correcting refractive errors and leading to sharper and more stable vision.
- Long-lasting Relief: The saline solution held by the scleral lenses provides a long-lasting moist environment, giving dry eye patients much-needed relief throughout the day.
- Ease of Use: With proper training, scleral lenses are relatively easy to insert and remove.
- Protection for the Cornea: Scleral lenses protect the cornea from the drying environment and mechanical damage from blinking.
- Stable Vision Correction: Scleral lenses provide consistent vision correction throughout the day since they do not move around the eye like conventional lenses.
- Less Dependence on Eye Drops: Regular use of scleral lenses reduces the dependency on eye drops and artificial tears for moisture.
- Reduced Eye Irritation: The constant moisture provided by scleral lenses helps reduce redness and irritation associated with dry eye syndrome.
- Better Quality of Life: By effectively managing dry eye symptoms, scleral lenses help patients return to normal activities without discomfort.
- Customization: Scleral lenses are custom made for each individual eye shape and size, increasing effectiveness and comfort.
The Role of a Scleral Lens Specialist: Dr. Edward Boshnick
In the realm of scleral lenses, the name Dr. Edward Boshnick stands out prominently. Dr. Boshnick, operating out of the globally recognized Global Vision Rehabilitation Center, has leveraged his profound expertise in scleral lenses to treat countless dry eye patients. He tailors every treatment to the unique needs of the patient, providing them with the highest standard of care. You can learn more about Dr. Boshnick’s approach to dry eye treatment here.
This patient suffered from chronic dry eye for over eight years. We fit him with a computer designed scleral lens which is providing him with clear (20/20) comfortable vision with all day lens wear.
In conclusion, scleral lenses have brought about a significant revolution in dry eye treatment. By providing enhanced comfort, improved vision, and lasting relief, these lenses offer a beacon of hope for those grappling with Dry Eye Syndrome.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology – Dry Eye
- National Eye Institute – Dry Eye
- Scleral Lens Education Society
- American Optometric Association – Contact Lenses
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What are scleral lenses for dry eye?
Scleral lenses are a type of contact lenses that vault over the entire corneal surface and rest on the “white” of the eye (the sclera). They are used in the treatment of several conditions, one of which is dry eye syndrome. More about scleral lenses
- How do scleral lenses help in dry eye treatment?
Scleral lenses can provide relief from dry eye symptoms by creating a tear-filled vault over the eye. This moisture chamber helps keep the eye hydrated, offering comfort to individuals with dry eye syndrome. More on this treatment
- Are scleral lenses comfortable?
Due to their unique design and the fluid reservoir they create, many patients find scleral lenses to be extremely comfortable, especially those suffering from dry eye syndrome.
- Where can I get scleral lenses for dry eye?
Dr. Edward Boshnick at Global Vision Rehabilitation Center specializes in fitting scleral lenses for dry eye patients. Schedule an appointment
- How long can I wear scleral lenses each day?
The wearing time may vary depending on the individual’s comfort and doctor’s recommendation. Typically, scleral lenses can be worn longer than regular contact lenses due to their hydrating benefits. Always consult with your eye care specialist for personalized advice.
- Who can wear scleral lenses?
Scleral lenses can be a solution for individuals who have irregular corneas, dry eye syndrome, or who have not been able to tolerate other types of contact lenses. Learn more about candidates for scleral lenses
- How are scleral lenses different from regular contact lenses?
Scleral lenses are larger in diameter and they vault over the cornea, resting on the sclera. This design allows them to provide unique benefits, such as improving visual comfort for individuals with dry eye syndrome.
- What is the process for getting fitted for scleral lenses?
The process begins with a comprehensive eye exam, during which your eye care provider will assess your suitability for scleral lenses. Measurements will be taken to fit the lenses to your eyes. Dr. Edward Boshnick at Global Vision Rehabilitation Center is a specialist in this field. Schedule an appointment